Monday, August 20, 2012

School

Just a short update as I am very tired. I was accepted into the welding course and I have begun the path to a welding career.

Two things I have noticed are: Everything in the shop came with the death and dismemberment speech and textbooks for college have gone up 200% since I have gone last. The math book alone was $182.00 which is a drastic increase since the 1990's when I could get one for $80.00. I did manage to "rent" it for $55 for the semester.

On the positive side we are welding starting tomorrow; which means I had to come up with $500 dollars worth of gear. But I am glad to get started quickly as I am more of a hands on person anyways. The instructor seems like the decent sort and he is quick to point out the things he does not want to see happen.

I will not be visiting as many of your sites as much as I have in the past. But I will endeavor to visit as many as I can in the months ahead.

9 comments:

  1. School first, and blogs further down the list. Sounds like you got things squared away. I have also started my school for radiography and am also a bit overwhelmed...I'll get used to it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah; thats what I think too. Once everything settles down into a routine I should have more time to spend on blogs. Good luck to you and your schooling as well. I will share my welding tips with you prior to your elective.

      Delete
    2. Congrats K on starting radiography!
      I know getting back into school can be overwhelming, keep your chin up! You both will succeed!!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations my friend, I knew you were going to be accepted. I can't believe the cost of books. Geez, that is outrageous $185.00 a book. Thank God you were able to rent the book. What type of welding has your instructor started you with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting with stick but I have signed up for the mig and tig as well. Thanks for the support.

      Delete
  3. Too bad you can't use E-books, that will be the future of text books. You are learning some neat stuff so it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no worries buddy - just focus on your schooling! we are all rooting for you and we will all still be here when you find the time. update us on how everything is going - i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers but i know that you will succeed! congrats buddy!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete