Sunday, August 5, 2012

Back to School

Looks like I have been accepted for the new VRAP(Veterans Retraining Assistance Program): in which yours truly will go back to college. Which is excellent since I can get another degree that has nothing to do with the one I currently hold.

I am entering the field of welding. Why welding you ask? We have a federal facility that is always is begging for new buildings and other projects that need welders. Plus if this economy ever picks up there is another Department of Energy partner that will need at least 4 years of building work out here. Lastly should the worst come to worst I will be able to modify vehicles with armor.

So I have requested transcripts from my former alma mater and my high school (which I am still scratching my head over) and I am studying to retake the math portion of the ACT test. I will say this; I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I am not the guy who you ask to calculate trajectories to launch missiles into space. While I can do algebra, I have to work twice as hard to get it to "click" to something I understand. I did find a good learning resource for either; parents who have children, or those are needing a math "refresher" please do yourself a favor and go to this website: http://www.khanacademy.org/ they have a ton of useful classes that any prepper could use.

To say I am apprehensive is an understatement. This plan can go sideways at any point since there is only one slot left, pending a math test, transcripts do not make it in time, etc., etc.. I am cautiously excited for this new opportunity and it goes to show you that God always has a plan for you.




19 comments:

  1. Congratulations, I hope your transcipts make it on time and we know you'll do just fine on the testing. Welding is a awesome field, with many job opportunities. My son just finished High School and Welding at the technical school at the same time. He started a fulltime job with a gov. contract and is now making excellent money. I think he needs to take care of Mom and Dad now, lol...

    Reach for the stars my friend, you can do anything you set your mind on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy thank you so much for the kind words. I am very humbled by them!

      Delete
  2. I am 40ish and also have headed back to school for "retooling". I have toyed with the idea of taking welding as an elective for the same reasons you have listed...the armor. Anyways, you'll do fine...worrying is a natural aspect of being older..err more mature. Lastly, have fun in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. If I might be so bold what education path are you pursuing now besides the electives?

      Delete
    2. Bachelor of Science in Radiography. I'm done with the prerequisites and start the actual degree plan Aug 14th.

      Delete
    3. X-Ray tech was suggested by my wife. Couldn't wrap my head around the whole barium enemas though.

      Delete
  3. Good for you!!! I love to weld. Not good at it and have only done it a few times. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbor says the same thing except he adds that whatever he welds weighs twice as much as when he started.

      Delete
  4. Welding is a good choice, I wish I had done it. A mobile skill that you can take anywhere you go and put to use. Hope it all comes together at the right time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything that I can do to increase my overall survival skills is a good thing. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. excellent choice mmasse! i know that you will do just fine - partly due to maturity and partly due to interest in the subject! it will definitely increase your survival skills and make you a very-valuable member to any "group" that you may join!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words kymber.

      Delete
  6. You'll do fine. That, plumbing and electrical is what I would recommend to the average person these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. joined your site. Can't wait to hear how its going. come visit me over at my place when you get a chance. the rat

    ReplyDelete
  8. The key to providing accurate customer service is providing customer care number or Business Phone Service. This is a helpline, which is an easy and cost-effective way for businesses to provide instant service to consumers.

    ReplyDelete