Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tired

This weekend has been a very busy one for me. The sun is out the birds are chirping and my wife is harping at me to get things done. We had bought this kids play set which I called our "divorce kit" about 4 years ago. I would caution anyone who is going to put together one of these to get it done by another person. None of the pieces were labeled and we spent a whole day figuring which part was what.

The second issue I had was some of the holes did not line up where they were supposed to. This in turn lead to more trips to home depot for more wood so that I could fabricate new pieces that actually worked. So now 3-4 years later there are more boards splitting and the whole structure is now unstable. Off to home depot again to get some buttresses to shore up the wobbly side. I sunk them in the ground and poured post hole concrete in them. I predict in a few more years there is going to be a bonfire in the backyard as the china made play set disintegrates. I said as much to my wife who did not appreciate that sentiment.

Home depot had a few visits from me as I went around the yard replacing sprinkler heads. I stopped there once and bought the wrong type. Second trip (Third really) turned out better and I begun the arduous task of replacing and adjusting the height of my sprinklers. Which then leads into using whatever tool they give you to adjust the head and spending 20 minutes getting it just right. In the meantime having to dodge the other sprinklers and responding to the cackles of children who are thrilled to see you soaked. All this while trying to avoid spraying the windows, because our hard water calcifies anything glass within seconds.

So I will say this now and get it over with, I sure do miss winter (as mild as it was).

6 comments:

  1. bahahahahah! i can just imagine how much your wife and the children laughed watching you replace the sprinklers - bahahahah! and thanks for the heads up on the "divorce kit" - we'll be staying away from those things if we have kids in the future based on your recommendation!

    lastly, thank you for your help for my friend - you have no idea how much i appreciate it and i want you to know that if i can ever help you in return - just yell!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No thanks needed kymber. Just glad to be in a position to help her. Everyone has been there at one time or another and it is easier to get through when you have people propping you back up.

      Delete
  2. I hate sprinkler maintenance, I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they are one of those like them and hate them items we all have. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. MMasse, I feel for you my friend. Sounds like I would have started a fire to it the first time (while putting it together). Sprinkler maintenance is something I hated when I lived in Florida. Everytime I turned around someone was running over the sprinkler heads and destroying them. I made numerous trips to Home Depot. Now, I live in Oklahoma, I don't worry about sprinklers or watering the grass (not bragging here). I enjoy when the temperature changes though (winter) so I don't have to cut the grass on the property. This is a full time job (2 to 3 times a week) in the spring/summer and a little in the fall.

    Take a deep breath my friend and remember this to shall pass :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The play set had potential. Had they used pressure treated lumber instead of the mystery wood they used. The hole issues was enough to send anyone over the edge.

      Sprinklers are not usually a problem for me during any normal year. This one however seems like they all need to come up 2 inches and when we had our lines cleared for this last winter 5 of them came out of their holes. Old age, cold weather, cheap sprinklers who knows? Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete