Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday blehs


So yes I did take my ride along and it was.... uneventful. We had a total of 2 calls for the 4 hours I was with the officer. On the plus side the weapons subject did come up and he is a bit of a gun nut too. So I have a new person to go shooting with. I did drop one or two hints that I was a prepper but no acknowledgement from him that he was also a prepper. The talk we had was interesting but nothing I would call particularly insightful.
 
The communications display in the car was really the high point of the whole trip. The officers lap top lit up every time he had a call with the description of the call and the address. He then showed me the light bar controls and the digital recording device that records any traffic stops he might make. The cool part was he could close out a call with the laptop and not tie up airtime on the radio. This lets the officer clear his cases and not tie up airtime for another officer.

So the two calls; one was some frustrated parents whose daughter kept arguing with mom and running away. The officer (with permission/insistence from the parents) talked with her tersely and played the “bad guy”. He threatened to take her down to juvy if she did not get her act together. Even though there were tears he admitted that she would probably do this again. Call number two was for a medical assist for a retirement home. Thankfully she finally responded to attempts to wake her up. I have worked that type of job before and I get the willies every time I am near an above ground corpse (it’s not that I am grossed out it just runs shivers down my back).

I am starting out this week in a bad way; nearly chopped off my pinky toe, tendinitis for both my knee and my wrist is acting up, and the wife is largely absent while writing medical articles to get published. So bear(hah) with me if I seem a bit punchy lately.

8 comments:

  1. i am honestly glad that your ride along was uneventful...but i know that you wish that there was more to have done and seen! sorry to hear about your toe - story please? - and your poor knees and wrist. good luck to the wife on her articles. try and lay low and make sure to eat well and get some rest. you'll be back to feeling fabulous in no time!!!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I clipped my toe on something sharp and tore the whole nail off. I feel bad because my daughter was with me and I let fly a few words I shouldn't have. The tendinitis is something I have been dealing with off and on.

      Delete
  2. MMasse, I know you asked me about my salve. Have you tried taking potassium to help reduce the pain? Potassium within food combinations or in pill form. The daily allowance I believe is 3500 mg for adults. You may also want to check out magnesium. Yes there natural but be careful if your on other medications. Tendinitis can be extremely painful, use ice to help reduce the pain and inflammation. Try not to over use while getting rid of the inflammation. I know easier said than done right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah nothing tells you how many times a day you use your knee or wrist than tendinitis. Thanks for the potassium information, should be ok since I am basically pill free with the exception of ibuprofen lately.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Verily, thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. I had quite a few civilian riders during my 12 years in a beat car. One of the best was when I had two high school seniors ride with me on the evening shift. I had only two calls all night long and the kids were asking, "Is this all you do?" About an hour before the end of my tour I was checking the parking garage at a Holiday Inn and was about to make a right turn to check out the hotel lobby when my wingman called to meet me.

    So I made a left turn to head out to the street and drove up a block where he was waiting for me. As soon as I pulled up next to him a call went out - shooting at the Holiday Inn. Some guy shot his wife in the head in the front door entrance to thehotel. I was about 25 feet away from this when I turned left instead of right to meet my beat partner (in our high crime area there were always two beat cars assigned). He shot her just as I was was leaving the property.

    Needless to say when we pulled up to the scene and the cops and ambulances were arriving my riders kept their mouths shut after I said - "Is this busy enough for ya?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, its one of those be careful of what you wish for things. Like I said, I did have the chance to ask a ton of questions and see the inside of a police car without the being arrested part. I even got to use the radar gun.

      Thanks for stopping by and for the great comment!

      Delete