Thursday, April 5, 2012

Citizen's Police Academy Part 3

It has been a long time since I received a speeding ticket. So with that in mind I went to the class with some apprehension. Luckily I have never been pulled by either of the officers. This week's topic was traffic and the two officers (Officer K and Officer M) seemed rather personable despite their assignment to the most hated outfit in Idaho Falls.

They went into the type of surveillance in there cars and what type of speed measuring equipment they have. One of the devices was a LIDAR speed gun to which I was unfamiliar with but I guess technology has a way of creeping up on you. Both of them brought in "chase" videos which are HD videos that get recorded straight to a hard drive in their vehicle. The video system appends the first 3 minutes of the patrol car to the point where the officer triggers the light bars on his vehicles. They also mentioned that of the 6 officers assigned to traffic they hand out 80% of the speeding tickets for our town.

They officers answered questions on speed limit "forgiveness", valid excuses for speeding, trunk checks and the issue with concealed weapons. Believe it or not I was not the one who asked about notifying the officer about a concealed weapon. But the general consensus it was appreciated if you inform the officer when you are stopped. They even acknowledged that it was not mandatory for Idaho but politeness counts when dealing with the police.

We were also shown the differences about the two types of stops that traffic deals with; felony and misdemeanor. Misdemeanor is the less dynamic of the two and it usually consists of one officer walking up to the vehicle and checking the back and front seats for threats. The Felony stop is where multiple officers are used to "funnel" the person back to the police cars. This was later demonstrated by the police officers in the parking lot. Ideally this is done by 4 officers in this scenario. Three to cover the suspects and one who is doing the handcuffing. (A few students were asked to participate as the officers were short handed).




7 comments:

  1. hmmm...very interesting stuff, indeed. did they say anything about running license plate numbers through your NCIC (here in Canada it is CPIC and our officers routinely check license plate numbers on cars just going by - not speeding or anything)? did they say anything about the type of information that is kept in NCIC? here in Canada - it is quite controversial!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They glanced over it. Basically they use the bar code system on the Drivers License to look up any priors through their computer systems. He did mention something about trying up airtime which I assumed as dispatch radio traffic. We have two meetings with the traffic officers I will ask them next time around.

      Delete
  2. that would be awesome - thanks buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate traffic cops... really, I do. Even though I've never in my life had a traffic ticket. Knock wood. Now, my wife, she can paper a wall with her tickets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Officer M said that most traffic cops have their pet peeves. His is DUI people so he mainly concentrates on them. The other officer mainly posts near schools to enforce traffic there. So they are not all bad. I even had a state cop let me go on a warning. But then again I drive with vet plates so that could be a factor as well. Its the sadistic ones that are the problem. Like the bad ones you seen on the videos. They should have never become police officers much less have a weapon. Sorry for the long winded reply, thanks for stopping by Stephen.

      Delete
  4. I haven't had a problem here, but live around small towns. I did get one from a new cop in Tarboro population 12,000 even after I answered his question of "when was your last ticket" with "when I got back from Vietnam." Didn't appreciate him. These beach towns around here run about 2,000 population in the winter. I've been stopped three times, Morehead City, Cape Carteret and Emerald Isle. In each instance they were polite and said they always give one warning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah small town cops are very different from the large metropolis cops. Which, in my opinion, due to the political machine in larger areas.

      Delete