Thursday, March 22, 2012

Citizen Police Academy Part 1

As I had discussed earlier I have signed up for my areas Citizens Police Academy. Since this class runs on Wednesdays I will update on Thursday to tell you of my experiences with that class. Most of last nights meeting was a overview of the course and what it could lead into.

We were introduced to Officer A who had an extensive career as a police office. She had attended POST (Police Officers Standards and Training) three times. Once as a jailor, once as a patrol officer and the last time to become an instructor for POST. She was involved in a nasty car accident which severed her left foot and now was on light duty after multiple surgeries until her future was decided by our police department. Pretty hardcore right there if you ask me. The police chief came up next introduced himself and described how the program works (I will cover that later on). He then gave us his work cell and asked us to call him if we have any questions/issues with the training.

We go through a few videos; Paul Harvey and what is like to be a police officer. Another one about how many officers has been killed on duty in the past four months. Then we get to the waivers of indemnity because certain arrests are still pending in court (makes sense), and the liability waivers. This is for the four hour ride along with a patrol vehicle that is required for the course. Which is one of the main things I am looking forward to. We were reminded not to talk in the police cars while the officers are "on tape" because apparently the microphones pick up everything and they had a young lady on tape making fun of a field sobriety test-e.

Looking at the syllabus we have CSI, Traffic Enforcement, Domestic Violence, Drugs and Gangs, Patrol Procedures, K-9, Bomb Team (insert red wire jokes here), SWAT Team and then we get a nice certificate.

So the program is geared for the Citizens Patrol which goes out on patrol with the support of the Police Department. They are a volunteer organization which secures crime scenes, does perimeter enforcement, tags abandoned vehicles and traffic control. They require a 10 hour monthly commitment and 2 training meetings a month. This is not for me however. I do not see me up at all hours of the night and dealing with family commitments in the morning. I am mainly interested in the different departments and how they function. So if you have any questions that you would like answered let me know here or email me at djinnter at gmail dot com and I will make it a point to get them answered during my classes.

7 comments:

  1. this sounds like it is going to get very interesting - i am glad that you will keep updating us. how many people are in your class? what is the age range?

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good questions - There are about 15 people in the class and the ages range from 15 to 65. We have the 9th grader and her mom. We have a few college people thinking about making it a career. A few professional business people, a reporter, and a few retirees to include a Korean Veteran. A good demographic spread if you ask me.

      Delete
    2. ya - a very interesting spread of people! it should make for some really interesting sessions!

      Delete
  2. Learn all you can. And, you will like the ride along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah nothing like having your eyes opened for you.

      Delete
  3. I've done this and it's really great. It's a good way to get to know your local officers. I also got to play with Simunitions which is A. fun and B. pretty good high stress training. Of course, they knew me and knew I trained a lot so they turned up the heat on me. The ride-along is always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a few of our local officers and I have trained with one of the SWAT Sergeants. I can't wait to see what they have in store for us. Plus having the chance for more networking is always a plus.

      Delete