Monday, February 6, 2012

Its a Radio!

Well not yet but I have successfully obtained a radio through the vast expanse that is ebay. I was able to get my hands on a Hammarlund HQ 100A. This lovely boat anchor has been loving refurbished by another who knows a heck of a lot more than I do about tube radios. My next task will be purchasing 100 feet of 12 gauge wire to make a dipole antenna. This will be placed and camouflaged on my roof which is considerable higher than that of the other houses in the area. The pattern I will be aiming for will be an inverted "V". Supremely happy that I finally got my hands on a restored Hammarlund.


4 comments:

  1. do you have access to a supply of tubes?

    Oh, check out my blog for today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a beauty...congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great score! Thought of a slinky antenna?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt - The tubes that come with it are the "standard 5" so it should not be an issue to pick up a few more.

    Stephen - Thanks!

    Craig - To be quite honest with you I have not heard of a slinky antenna till you mentioned it. Its a neat idea, but, I would like it to be outside of the house and stealthy. The brass slinky has promise but I don't need my pesky neighbors asking me why I have a slinky on my roof. Thanks for the antenna idea though. I clearly have a lot of research in front of me.

    ReplyDelete