Monday, January 30, 2012

Social Network Mining

The news is rife of posts of people who are getting in trouble on Facebook and twitter for posting images/stories that in a pre 9/11 mindset would have not have same consequences. But as some people are finding out Big Brother is watching and data mining sites like Facebook, twitter, MySpace and blogs (here, here and here). In some cases people are being reported as this person was.



I would caution anyone about posting questionable material on social networking sites, to include blogs, as they are putting themselves at risk for a visit from men in cheap suits. I am seriously considering divorcing myself from all social media sites as Rural Revolution did due to their tracking issues.

OpSec is a key component on what preppers do, please do not let yours be compromised by a joke or a post in anger. They do not have a sense of humor.

2 comments:

  1. "OpSec is a key component on what preppers do, please do not let yours be compromised by a joke or a post in anger. They do not have a sense of humor."

    Yes and I have been belittled because I have said this in the past.

    I've even quoted Scripture to support this general idea and the silence was deafening in my opinion. Several of the people that normally commented on my blog quit at that point. It was a very enlightening experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that Matt. I would never quit over someone trying to pass along good info. As someone who was in a ComSec field I know the value of keeping your secrets secret. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete